Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Spark Plug Replacement

Over this past weekend I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs. I had not changed them since I bought the bike in 2012; just pulled, cleaned, and gapped them. They looked ok at the time and the bike ran ok. However I was able to find replacement plugs at my local O'Reilly's Auto Parts store so I decided to give the bike a little more pep.  The plugs were only about $3 each, so they're not big ticket items by any means.

I pulled the old ones and set them out to see what they could tell me.  Here they are; Left to Right = Front to Back; Top to Bottom = Right side to Left side.


 
I'm not quite sure what to make of them. The front right has a little more oil on it than the others, but I don't know what that's telling me. If anyone wants to share their ideas I'm open to suggestions.

I installed replacement NGK DCPR6E plugs and gapped them at about .034.  I rode the bike to work today and it sure seemed to run smoother and had great acceleration and power.

Nice improvement for only about $13 and a little spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment